Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Grand Illusion

This is more of a rambling than a review.

After a suggestion from Mr. Bennett, I rented Grand Illusion through the wonders of Netflix. The first thing I did was do some research on the film to get some background on it. I found that in 1937 it became the first foreign language film to be nominted for Best Picture, and only a handful of movies have achieved that to date. With that, I put the movie in my queue, and I just got it in the mail today. I just finished watching Grand Illusion about five minutes ago so the experience is fresh in mind. I tried really hard to pay attention to everything that appeared on screen so that I can analyze the work intelligently, but I encountered a problem. I found it difficult to read the subtitles of the film and take notice of what was happening in frame at the same time. I should have figured this was going to happen, because it has occurred before with Pan's Labrynth, City of God, and Profondo Rosso. So unfortunately, I was not able to see if anything earlier in the film had significance later in the film, unless it was spoken and appeared in the subtitles. I still found the film enjoyable, but if anything a little farfetched. Call me crazy, but I didn't get the feeling that the French were being held captive at all. There were moments when it seemed as though the Germans and French were equals. Perhaps this was the message of the movie? I found De Boeldieu's relationship with Von Rauffenstein to be rather intriguing, considering they were Captain's on opposing sides of the war treating each other with the respect and care one would give to their brother.

In the future I will have to give Grand Illusion another viewing so that I can pay more attention to what is happening on screen, now that I am familiar with the film. At this point I can say I found the film to be enjoyable and I would willingly watch it again. Oh yea, I'm also unsure as to what the "Grand Illusion" of the film was. Was it Marachel and Rosenthal's escape thanks to the distraction caused by De Boeldieu? They should call it the "Grand Misdirection" then.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed that you gave this one a try. It's one of the more complicated films you're likely to encounter, and requires an understanding not only of the conflict between social classes in France in the 30's and earlier, but also of existentialism. I'm pleased you asked exactly what the illusion is that is mentioned. War, primarily, but also other things that men die for, that Renoir regards as meaningless. I have a paper I wrote on it around here somewhere. And now, of course, I have to watch it again, not haveing seen it in at least a decade.

    ReplyDelete