Monday, May 11, 2009

MEMENTO!!!!!

I freaking love this movie. In my opinion, Memento is story-telling at its absolute best. Christopher Nolan took an already interesting concept (man with short-term memory loss searching for his wife's killer) and made it even more brilliant. The way in which the story is told is in fact a gimmick, but not at all gimmicky (a word which I have always thought of as negative). Every scene is paced perfectly to make you feel just as our friend Leonard is probably feeling as he lives his life. What is it that he says? "It's like waking". Since we are shown the later scenes earlier, we become intrigued as to how a certain thing came about (the scratches on Leonard's face, the bruises on Natalie, the broken car window) so even as the black and white scenes interject, we are thrilled when the colored scenes return. I have seen this movie dozens of times and I still love every moment of it.

I do have one criticism however, and it is not of the movie. I don't usually do this, but I was upset by Mr Bennett's comments while we were watching it. In one particular comment, he gave away a specific piece of information that in my opinion ruins the "surprise" of the film. I hope everyone reading this has no idea what I am talking about, because that means that information was lost on them, and the ending will still make an impact on them.

5 comments:

  1. My first reaction to your comments was to kick myself. I hope you're mistaken. I hope I didn't ruin anything. It's just the old teacher in me, hoping I don't lose anyone. After all, the film is pretty confusing.

    My bet is that I didn't ruin it. Since you've seen the film before, you picked up on it. A virgin viewer will not put the two together.

    However, if they remember my comment and then read what you wrote above, then they will figure it out. Probably best to edit out that sentence where you mention the morality of the character.

    And tomorrow, mum's the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm a virgin viewer but so far I don't think anything Mr. B said really ruined anything for me concerning the end. I mean, I have my suspicions about what will happen but those suspicions weren't really influenced by his commentary.

    I sure hope he didn't ruin it, anyway, because I've heard so much about this movie and I'm really loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I edited it out. Hopefully not many people saw it. I really want people to enjoy this film. It's one of my favorite of all time. I think that's why I'm so protective of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about a tough movie to figure. What you said to me on your way out the door, today, Nick is something that I have not thought of previously, and is not a necessary conclusion to the film. We'll have to talk more about it in person, or after we finish watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am intrigued by this conversation between Nick and Mr. Bennett!

    ReplyDelete