Monday, April 6, 2009

The End of the Best Three Months of My Life

Today was a very difficult day for me. I was forced to give up something I love, and something I had for far too short a time. I am talking, of course, about my Netflix account. For Christmas, I received a 3 month free gift subscription to this fine operation and used it every day of that time period. I got to see so many films that I would otherwise have missed for months, years, or maybe even my entire life. I credit Netflix with single-handedly making the past 3 months of my life the best ever (film class helped too, but Netflix was really number 1).

The shipping back of my final film (The Bedford Incident) was a very solemn occasion that I could have turned into a 2 hour ceremony. The three block walk to the mailbox down near Farrell was far too short, and did not give me enough time to gather my thoughts for a proper sending off speech. As I approached the dreaded blue box my tongue receeded to the depths of my throat and I felt a warmth ensconse my face. Speaking would be impossible. My fingers trembling, I reached for the blue handle to open up the mouth of the great beast, and as I gently placed that thin red envelope in, I cringed at the callous nature the box swallowed the poor thing. I stood just a moment longer before turning away and taking a much longer walk back to my home.

I would love to talk in great length about all of the films I saw due to the magic of Netflix, but I will instead give very brief explanations, for the sake of my readers patience. In order of shipment:

In Bruges - so good, I went out and bought it myself. If you want my full review of this film it is somewhere on this blog and on my other. I'll save you time and tell you it was amazing. A 10 out of 10.

Fight Club - very different from what I expected, but in a good way. Brad Pitt and Ed Norton had such a terrific screen presence I couldn't look away. The story was unique and mind-blowing.

The Machinist - great performance by Christian Bale and great direction by Brad Anderson. A little predictable but a good watch. Bale's emaciated figure is enough to see this film.

Pulp Fiction - the most disappointing film I rented, Pulp Fiction sure was the picture of originality. Sadly, I was not tricked into believing that ALL originality is GOOD originality. An hour and a half too long, I was upset with this rental.

Rescue Dawn - once again, great performance by Christian Bale and great direction by Werner Herzog. Not the best Bale film, but not the worst.

It Happened One Night - really, really, really, really good. Watched it with my parents, they loved it as well. "Do whatever you please, but shutup about it!" Haha, I wish I lived in the day when you can say that to a woman you didn't know and it was OK.

Fargo - Benny knows exactly how I feel about this one. Fantastic.

12 Angry Men - the absolute best film I rented, I was on the edge of my seat from the moment they entered the room to the moment they came up with a verdict. Sidney Lumet was robbed of an Oscar!

Grand Illusion - a recommendation from Mr Bennett, I liked it. I will have to watch it again when I am a little older, but for now it was good.

Schindler's List - Fabulous. Spectacular. Powerful. Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes = wow.

3:10 to Yuma (original) - better than the remake

North By Northwest - extremely engaging, this was a great thriller from Hitchcock. Eva Marie Saint was friggin hot!

Barton Fink - Coen Brothers did it again

The Man Who Wasn't There - The Coen Brothers did it again...again.

Milk - Outstanding. Changed my vote for the Best Picture of 2008. Sorry Slumdog Millionaire.

Shadow of a Doubt - a bit disappointing, I failed to find the suspense here. I read the envelope after I watched the film and it used the word suspense like 4 times. I just didn't feel it. Oh well.

The Bedford Incident - the final film and a very high note to end with. Mr Bennett told me it was "edge of your seat stuff" and he was absolutely right. Though I wouldn't expect anything less from James B Harris, the man who discovered Stanley Kubrick.

I dragged a bit, but trust me, I could talk for hours about my experiences with Netflix. The moment I get a credit card, it is the first thing I will purchase. I have a feeling that as I lie on my death bed in my old age, as I hold a snow globe with a DVD inside, the final words to pass through my moustached lips will be, "Netflix".

6 comments:

  1. Very funny last words, and brilliant allusion to Citizen Kane. Glad to see that you are such a connoisseur of film. Some of these films look very interesting and I will have to get to them at some point. 12 Angry Men is a movie I have wanted to see for years and haven't. I really need to and SOON!

    I enjoyed this post alot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I gotta watch some of these. I have watched In Bruges 3 times in about 4 or 5 days. Just a great film. Just spectacular... and very profane with the language. And British (Irish/British for Colin Farrell. Still trying to perfect it for myself) accents really can enhance anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really a beautifully constructed essay. It's a pleasure to read your work.

    I'm also pleased that you liked the films I recommended. To be honest, you asked for a mystery, so Shadow of a Doubt sprang to mind, but, like you, I thought it failed ultimately, though it began hopefully enough. In fact, I saw it very late at night on TV a million years ago, and I was upset that I had to go to bed (I think I had work the next day, I was an adult at the time. My childhood was filled with missed opportunities because of my father's iron rule about bedtime, practically the only thing this incredibly easy-going man was strict about.) Anyway, I kept it in the back of my mind for years and when I finally got a chance to see the end, it disappointed.

    Do re watch Grand Illusion some day. I detest the "you're too young" argument, but in this rare case, it may be true. One does learn a few things between 17 and 30, and one's ability to appreciate "stuff" increases as a result.

    On a personal note, old friend, you might find this edifying. At the start of our class I saw that you believed that you were very knowledgable about film and proud of the fact, a self-proclaimed afficionado, if you will.

    Frankly, I was worried that you were going to turn out to be what I somewhat less than affectionately refer to as a class "mayor."

    Over the years I've had a few mayors in class and they're usually either frauds or arrogant know-it-alls, or both, but they are always a royal pain in the neck.

    Anyway, it was a relief to discover you are definitely not a Mayor, at least not in the bad sense.

    Your knowledge of film and your ability to analyze it are first rate, and I won't temper my praise with the qualifying "for one so young." And I very much appreciate your attitude, which is confident, but humble and lovable. I know the boys will laugh, but one needn't grovel in order to be humble. One need only appreciate that there is more to learn, and that such knowledge may come from the unlikeliest of sources.

    You and I both understand this, and though "humble" may not be the first words that spring to the lips of our biographers, that is due more to their faulty vision than to our perceived arrogance.

    Now, cut the lights and let's watch another film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well Billy, if you'd like me to do a side by side comparison of the two, I'd be glad to receive a free 3 month gift subscription from you =P.

    To Mr Bennett, at the beginning of the class, I kind of did feel like that "afficionado" you speak of. Most of friends look at me as "the movie kid" that they could always go to for a question about a movie or an actor. When we played Scene It, everyone always wants to be on my team. It's alot of pressure haha. But actually being in this class has helped me realize that I do still have much to learn, and acting all-knowing does not really make you so (unless you are really, really convincing). Being a mayor does sound kind of fun though. I could wear a top hat.

    Steve, I too watched In Bruges compulsively when I bought it. Who would have though Colin Farrell could act? I thought the real star was Ralph Fiennes, showing up halfway through the film. He really gave the film that extra spice to make it truly delectable.

    Jimmy, FIND 12 ANGRY MEN AND WATCH IT NOW HAHA. It was brilliant. My short sentences are not enough to do it justice.

    Thanks for the feedback guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, Colin Farrell in a film that people are regarding as good. Huh? But, no doubt Ralph Fiennes is the best actor there and essentially makes the film. It's just that Colin Farrell's accent in the movie is one that i feel should be added to my arsenal of mimicry. I'm coining that term. "Arsenal of Mimicry"

    ReplyDelete