Sunday, March 1, 2009

I just watched Schindler's List...

Wow. That's it. That's all I can say. I would love to write a formal review for this film, but there is almost no point. It's just, wow. Schindler's List is without a doubt the most powerful piece of art it has ever been my pleasure to view. It completely redefines the word "powerful". I thought I knew what a "powerful movie" was, but apparently I didn't. I was so hesitant to watch this film because all I could think of was "I have no interest in watching Jews get killed for 3 hours and 13 minutes". I thought it would leave me feeling rather deflated and upset. And yes it has upset me and I do feel a little deflated, but at the same time my life feels richer having seen it. One of the single greatest acts of human kindness proved to be a fantastic film, and to make the situation better, it actually happened! To think that somebody in real life, a nazi no less, could gain such a conscious as to save the very people he was supposed to kill, it's just outstanding. There is nothing anybody can say that will change my mind about this film. It was amazing, nothing less. I'm actually considering never watching it again, because I'm afraid that I won't love it as much the second time.

A confession though: at the very end, as Schindler breaks down in the center of the crowd of the people he freed, and he is crying about how he "could have done more", at first I was touched deeply, but then I started to laugh. Why? Seinfeld. I was immediately brought to the episode of Seinfeld that revolved around Schindler's List. I watched Liam Neeson pour his heart out on film, and I was giggling because I was picturing Judge Reinhold giving the same speech at the airport as he was seeing Jerry's parents off. Damn you, Reinhold. Damn you.

4 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention the ending. That is the only part of the film that is roundly critisized. The joke is that Spielberg always has to have everyone hugging and saying "it's all right," when, of course, notthing is all right. He didn't do that in "Munich," though, and I was gratified.

    For my part, I watched Rocky last night on TCM. It's fun to watch a film like that, which is so clearly one man's vision. Earlier, I had watched the last half of Blazing Saddles, which was amusing, though not as deleriously funny as when I saw it 35 years ago. I noticed how poor the cinematography was, not that I'm critisizing it for that, but when you see lousy cameral work, you can appreicate great camera work, a la Citizen Kane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to point out to you that for some reason I cannot leave a comment on your Blue Lagoon post. Every time I click it the post doesn't even show up. I haven't encountered this problem before but you may want to re-publish that post to see if it fixes itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had the same problem with Mr. Bennett's post on The Blue Lagoon, however, I have been unable to come out with my full conclusion on Mr. Bennett's point as of yet, but the post is now unviewable. I have not had the pleasure of seeing Schindler's List as of yet but your post has made me even more eager to see it. I hope that I will have the chance to watch it very soon, since it is in my house I believe. Thank you for a very good post and I'm interested in speaking to you about it in-depth once I am able to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, fellas. I'll re-post that.

    ReplyDelete