Monday, March 30, 2009

I Love You, Man -- Response to Jimmy

I was planning on sitting down and writing a full review of this film, but I am currently busy writing a review of Milk, so I'll do this for now. I'm also going to do this as a direct response to Jimmy's post about this same film.

Jimmy, in the past we have mostly agreed about films, but I am afraid we have a disparity about this one. Although I am a fan of Paul Rudd, I thought he was an uncomfortable mess in this movie. I am aware that his character was meant to be the awkward, social misfit that couldn't find any guy friends, but they overplayed it to an excessive amount. It was to the point where I was squirming in my chair, much like I did watching the god forsaken Sex and the City movie. As far as his character's relationship with Rashida Jones' character, I felt little affection between the two and was not convinced that these people were in love.

The first 20 minutes of the film, even with a dinner table scene with the hilarious Andy Samberg, were a debacle. Not a single laugh to be found, nor a single moment of interest. I actually contemplated walking out of the theater.

Just as I was going to give up on the film, Jason Segel swept in and finally put I Love You, Man on a track. Complete with a truthful approach to life and a pug/beagle named Anwar Sedat, Segel's character is the only saving grace to this film, and makes it worth watching. A child of the Apatow gang, Segel is a comedic force that can turn any situation funny (unless it's on the show How I Met Your Mother. I hate that show).

So I guess in the end, Jimmy, I only disagree with you halfway. I too recommend this film, but I recommend walking in 20 minutes after it begins. I disagree with your opinion of Rudd's performance, but agree with your opinion of Segel's. The film was rather predictable, and I guess it was pretty well put together for a low-brow comedy (and that really is what it was). Another thing that you didn't mention but I would like to is the supporting cast. With the exception of Jon Favreau, not one supporting cast member added anything to this film. They were simply there to further the plot, and were not funny at all.

So yea, I liked it, but not that much.

Also if you haven't already done so, please read my review of the sex and the city movie. I have gotten alot of good responses from it and would love to share my pain, err, i mean experience with the world.

3 comments:

  1. Nick, of course I have already read, and commented on your Sex and the City review. To be honest, I agree with you on Rashida Jones and Paul Rudd were not very compatiable and that was probably the weakest point of the movie.
    Paul Rudd, however, I thought was overly quirky but relatable, at least to me. I felt Jon Favreau and the other supporting were good though. Jason Segel was great but I don't feel he was far superior to Paul Rudd, although I think we can all agree that Anwar Sadat stole the movie.

    The movie was not spectacular, but it was a better than most of these films. But I understand if you didn't like it, it could have been a little better, but I personally enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To each his own. Your opinions are highly respectable, and you supported your thoughts admirably. I just like to be dissenter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a problem and I completely respect your opinion yourself and you clearly make your points, several of which are quite valid. I will respectfully disagree, but respectfully of course. I hope we can agree on the next film.

    ReplyDelete